Sunday, January 9, 2011

Looking for Distraction in Snow and Cold


I started this with the intention of writing about yesterday's events in Tucson. But I don't think I can, much. I feel shock and anger and deep sadness for the families of the victims and am still reeling from the shock of the loss that effects so many people I know; a senseless loss that every single person I work and their families are trying to wrap their heads around.
So today I looked for some distraction and comfort in cold and snow. We took our snowshoes and headed out the Nordic Center for a couple of hours today. Cold air and clear sunlight and quiet and crunchy snow and the beautiful cathedral of the pine forest. They worked some of their cleansing magic and I am going to try to hang on to that feeling the rest of this week.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the restorative power of nature lies in the very absence of people? No craziness, nastiness, arrogance, pettiness,vindictiveness . . . Nothing but the purity of the crunch as your boot goes through the crust on top of pristine snow, the freshness of the frigid air, the feeling you get from the silence . . . I could use a bit of that, myself.

    FJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was snowing tonight as I walked home from the subway. The snow has a way of masking sound, quieting the noise of traffic. It blurs your vision slightly, putting everything into a lovely soft focus. Though snowflakes are falling, everything seems still, peaceful. The snow drapes a pristine blanket over everything, concealing all the flaws and ugliness, yet somehow accentuating that which is beautiful. It is restorative.

    FJ (again)

    ReplyDelete