Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Quarter Inch Disease

I am presently suffering from a severe mental illness in which I am incapable of reading more than about a quarter inch worth of pages in any given book. The last, say, four books on my Library Thing list are all books that I have finished and set aside. I'm currently about 25 pages into State of Fear by Michael Crighton and I have a feeling that I might approach the quarter inch wall there as well. (Moses would say why even give it a quarter inch? He thinks Michael Crighton is deserving of the leave-one-the-shelf-and-don't-bother treatment and rolls his eyes everything time I bring home a Crighton book.) Should I even bother listing it on Library Thing? That seems to be sort of a mis-representation of my actual life in books--looks like I'm an avid reader and powering through all sorts of novels when, in reality, I'm a biblio-slacker floating around in sea of books with bookmarks at approximately a quarter of an inch in. I seriously have about ten books on my nightstand now in that exact state. I really don't know if it's just that I haven't picked up anything that strikes my fancy lately (bookclub stalled out in non-fiction land this month so I didn't even bother), or if I'm suffering a more serious malady. Is there a name for this affliction? Do I need drugs? Therapy? A swift kick in the ass? The situation is desperate. I don't have a TV, and I can't hog the X-box for DVD's every night!! I need to read! I need a book I can finish! Friends, help me! Please send me the titles of your all time favorite page turners, the books you absolutely could not put down because they sucked you in like a speck of dirt in Grumpator's new vacuum. Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. I would say go with short story collections, because they are short and you might have a chance of finishing them?? I am fond of the "Best American Collections" myself, like the "Best American Short Stories," "Best American Non-Required Reading." And so forth. They don't always succeed, but many are good.

    As for books I've enjoyed recently, here are some of diverse themes:
    --Dress your family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (comedy and memoirish)
    --Kiki Strike by Kirsten Miller (young adult and is a good two chapter a night novel and moves quickly. Totally would've loved when younger)
    --I Love Everybody and other Atrocious Lies by Laurie Notaro (comedy, definitely, from AZ. Snarky)
    --The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (and Sequels) (literary detectives, funny.)
    --Notes on a Small Island by Bill Bryson (haven't found anyone who hasn't liked him. Travelogue)
    --Assassaination Vacation by Sarah Vowell. (She examines American History and the people who assassainate Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley. Funny)
    --Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (it's a classic.)

    If you have any further questions, email me.

    I've been there. Am currently reading books that am kinda ennh about and are reading semi-slowly. Which isn't always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Barb on The Eyre Affair and anything by Bill Bryson.

    When I'm in moods like this, I tend to re-read old favorites - and I don't add re-reads to Library Thing in general.

    I also recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series. Chris rolls his eyes and mocks me mercilessly, but these have turned out to be some of my favorites in the last 5 years. I'd recommend starting with Cordelia's Honor, which I have and you're welcome to borrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent suggestions! thank you! I'm going to hit Bookman's this weekend and see what I come with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any luck on the consuming book search?

    I'm having the 3/4 inch disease myself over here, whereby I'm 3/4 ways through like 6 books.

    And am awash in ya. fantasy books and I'm not even counting the ones I've meant to read. Can either of you recommend some "realistic" ya novels? I know it's heresy, but occasionally I do need to check in with other types of books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you can see from my most blog recent post--I am in Ann Brashares' (realistic)world. I'm not saying her books are classic works of fiction or anything, but for whatever reason I've burned through two now and they are the first books I've actually finished since August. I've found them enjoyable and somewhat humorous and there are some nice, "oh just kiss her and get it over with" plot lines that are enjoyable without getting into TMI-land. I also really like Alice Hoffman, although her books don't stay strictly in the realistic world, sometimes a little extra stuff creeps in. I recommend the Probable Future (or something like that) and The Ice Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do reallly like Brashares myself, as evidence from my last comment to your post. Saw her when she was at Changing Hands and keep telling Anali and many other people they'd like her.

    As for Hoffman, I've read _Practical Magic_ years ago, but liked it and have looked at her stuff in bookstores.

    And E.L. Konigsburg's "Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place" or something like that is really good too.

    ReplyDelete