Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Garmin Forerunner 205, ooooooooh

One of the bonuses of being married to a geek is that you get cool gadgets for your birthday. This year Moses and Garion got me the Garmin Forerunner 205, "a GPS-enabled trainer for runners." It can measure my time, distance, and pace for running and biking, can graph this information, can alert me when I 've hit a certain distance or time, has a "virtual trainer" that I can race against, can be programmed with various work-outs, can give me instant split and transitions times for multi-sport activities (aka triathlon times), estimates calories burned and I'm not positive, but I think it can also communicate with alien races. I took it out for a spin this morning and here are my stats, as beamed down by the little green men:

Distance: 4.31 miles
Time: 45:09 minutes
Average Pace: 10:28 minutes/mile
Average Speed: 5.7 mph
Max Speed: 6.7 mph
Calories burned: 477

This thing is so cool.
In two weeks I'm running in the Tucson Marathon Relay, where I will be 1/4 of a slow but awesome relay team. My leg will be 5.7 miles long (all down hill, thank-you, God) so with a little luck and some gravity assistance, I think I'll make it!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm glad you like it. When Moses told me what he got you, I gave him just a little bit of shit for it. Because I had to - seriously, we all knew you wanted an iPhone!

    It does sound a lot cooler when you talk about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K......I'm feeling really...really old =) I have absolutely no idea what this magical little gadget does but you seem very happy about it. I'd be happy just to be ( walking) the distance you are running in 45 minutes. Your time looks great to me. Kerry ..you are getting just way to buff. Can girls be buff? You make this old Mom proud.

    ReplyDelete