Friday, December 14, 2007

The Book a Month Challenge!

I'm totally in. My friend Anali just turned me on to the Book a Month Challenge for 2008. Each month, the Book a Month folks (or folk, I think there might be only one) post a theme, participants read a book corresponding to that theme, and post a review. My kind of challenge! Stayed tuned in 2008 for fascinating, insightful, and otherwise erudite book reviews.
***
On somewhat, but not really, related topics, I totally want an Amazon Kindle. I'm not exactly sure why, since it costs ~$400 and I can pick-up books from the library FOR FREE, and books that I want to own at Bookmans, etc. for about $5.00 or less. But there's something about being able to download a book on the spot and have it instantly available that is powerfully enticing to me. I could be on vacation, decide that the book I have is a stinker, and just download another one right then and there (for $9.00). I also like the idea of being able to carry around multiple books at one time, without carrying around multiple books (since that requires a big bag). I have a little fantasy of myself carrying around my Kindle and casually pulling in out of my bag at lunch time, perusing the five to ten titles I have saved, and deciding what brilliant, literary work should accompany me while I partake of my leftovers and organic apple. There is no way on earth that I can justify spending $400 on this thing, but I still want it. ("What!?" you say, "how can Kerry-the-Ultimate-Justifier-of-Unnecessary-Purchases, like more shoes, not justify this!?" Library books are free, that's how I can't do it.)
Why is it, I wonder, that I am always so enthralled by these types of $400+ contraptions? (I've also been drooling over the iPhone for awhile, the Xtracycle cost a pretty penny-yay for work bonuses!-and I want to buy a television so I can watch swimmers and triathletes in the 2008 Summer Olympics. I also want several less than $400 things like a new purse even though the one I've been using is absolutely, completely fine and functional.) I know they will not make me happy. They will not improve my life in any meaningful way. I will enjoy them for a while, but then get used to them and they will not be special. My life without out them is completely wonderful (library books are FREE!!!, this is a wonderful thing! it is!). Why, why, why? I need a stuff vaccine that will make me immune to the charms of new and shiny crap.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely understand the allure of the Kindle, or even the Sony E-book Reader(which I've even held in my hand and maybe got just a little drool on). I would LOVE to have a gadget that can hold dozens of books, that I can carry anywhere, and even have a wifi connection and surf the web. Oh wait. My phone does that stuff.

    The most attractive thing about these E-book readers is the screen is page-alicious. Easy on the eye, so to speak.

    However, I have no problem resisting at this point-the DRM issues around these devices are too restrictive and insane, and I just can't look past that. I want to be able to read ANY book - not just from specific Sony or Amazon stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding Foucault's Pendlelum, and I say this with love and support. Have you read any Eco previously and if so, did you like him? 'Cause Foucault's Pendlelum is not exactly easy going and occasionally might be a bit too much like school or work to read. And I say this as a medieval grad. student.

    Of course, I haven't read Foucault's Pendelum since I was in college, and did so because I was crushing on an intellectual who did his honors' thesis on it. It might be easier to do at a later age.

    But, if you're really, really enjoying this, please don't let my warning scare you off. But if you're feeling bewildered, you might want to start with the Name of the Rose or Baudolino. I have read NOR and it's a good starting point, and Baudolino, from what I hear is more accessible.

    ReplyDelete