Sunday, June 1, 2008

This Year's Crazy Things

You might remember that last year, I entered and competed in my first triathlon and ran in the Tucson Marathon Relay. And you might have thought that training for and competing in such events would have gotten the competition bug out of my system, especially since I had never competed in anything requiring physical exertion in my whole entire life. Not so. Turns out, I'm a lot better about maintaining a work out regime if I have an event to work toward. More accurately, I train better if I have the possibility of failure, mortal embarrassment, and excruciating pain hanging over my head. So this year, I upped the ante. Why up the ante? Why not just enter a few more races of similar caliber as last year's and enjoy the ride? I don't know. Probably I need my head examined. In November, I will be running the Big Sur Half Marathon, my first half marathon. I really don't know why I feel the need to do a half marathon but there it is so I might as well get it over with. A friend of mine from work was at this event last year and she said the course is beautiful. Also, wuss that I am, I thought it'd be really great to run my first half marathon on a relatively flat course at sea level after having trained on hilly terrain at 7,000 ft. I'm hoping that all that extra oxygen will turn me into Wonder Woman, and I will feel buff and invincible with the knowledge that I possess the superpower of extra lung capacity.

Personally, I thought that a half marathon would be enough craziness for one year. Then, Moses and I were talking with my brother (Robert) and his wife (Lisa), who enter the Imogene Pass Run every September with Lisa's family, and they invited us to join in this year. They actually make this race sound like a lot of fun. Lisa's brother informed me that one year he and Robert trained for the race by cutting their daily beer intake from 4 to 2. Great! Sounds like a race I can do. As my brother and his wife are cool, young people, and Moses and I would like to be cool, young people (even though I don't think that's possible anymore since we are some one's parent and I think that unless you're Madonna you instantly loose your cool-cred the moment you give birth), we thought we'd look into this.

Here's the course description:
The Imogene Pass Run (IPR) is a 17.1 mile point-to-point mountain race within the western San Juan mountains of Colorado, run along a route which connects the towns of Ouray (7810 ft.) and Telluride (8820 ft.) by way of 13,120 foot Imogene Pass. The IPR is held on the first Saturday after the Labor Day holiday, at the seasonal transition from late Summer to early Fall. Mountain weather at this time is famously "squirrelly" (rapidly changeable), and participants through the years have encountered a variety of weather conditions ranging from virtually perfect to terrible. This spectrum of weather during the race is in fact part of its lure and mystique. In good weather years the challenge of the mountainous traverse is rewarded by unsurpassed vistas and no small feeling of accomplishment upon crossing the finish line. In bad weather years, the wind, fog, rain and/or snow along the course make the successful arrival in Telluride a virtual rite of passage into the realm of true mountain running.

That would be lots of hills at altitude in possible nasty weather. That would be a really long race that typifies everything I strongly dislike about running in Flagstaff.

Yesterday, I hiked Mt. Elden with a friend. It's about 2.5 miles to the top of Mt. Elden, on a pretty steep trail (about 9,000 ft. elevation at the top). It took my friend and me 3.5 hours to do the hike (round trip) and my legs were shaking at the end. So I began to think that maybe Imogene wasn't such a great idea, that I don't need to be as cool or hip (since I can't ever be as young) as my brother. I was thinking that I would just resign myself to not being cool and I would just admire my brother and his wife and their coolness from afar. And I would be happy because I would not be in pain, and that is one of the major goals of my life, and my brother could just be in charge of maintaining coolness in our family and that would be totally, completely fine. And also, I would not be making a public spectacle of myself and my wussy-ness, which would also be nice.

But then . . . Moses registered for the race this morning. And then informed me that he also registered me for the race. I guess that means I'm doing Imogene. I suppose that I always have the option of backing out, but now that I'm officially in, I probably won't be able to let it go because, as much as I hate to admit it, I have a sort of stubborn competitive streak and now that I'm in, I'm in. I informed Moses that if we're going to do this thing together, he is not allowed to beat me by a substantial margin. He also is most definitely not allowed to beat me if he does not train. And since he's tall and has long legs and can walk really fast, he is really, most definitely, NOT AT ALL allowed to walk right next to me while I am running, because that will make my head explode.

Imogene is made more interesting by the fact that participants have to make certain cutoff times. Most notably, if you don't make the summit 4.5 hours after the race starts, they don't let you finish. So, my goal will be to make the cutoffs and finish this baby in under six hours. My game plan is to walk/hike the uphill and run the downhill and also not to die (although I'm thinking I should try to get my will in order this summer before I go, just in case). As icing on the cake, I would also like to not embarrass myself in front of my brother, his wife, friends and in laws. Because they are cool.

That's the line-up for 2008--wish me luck and lots of lung capacity.

10 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK! This sounds like great motivation for some excellent training - and of course you're right; training in Flagstaff WILL make you into Wonder Woman in no time flat.

    I could tell you excellent inspiring stories about how I finished the Auckland half-marathon in 2005 after not really training at all. I'd have to omit the part where I had leg surgery after the race. :) Regardless, it was a fun experience and I will do it again someday.

    I'm sure you're going to do really well in BOTH events. Actually, I'm envious, because I'm not doing any exercise at the moment (though I know I should be). Be sure to let us all know how you do with training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so brave! I admire you for undertaking such endeavors. And never fear, it is because you are willing to work hard to achieve a physical goal that most people have given up on by 22 that you prove yourself cool, regardless of the parent factor. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was going to say that I am SUPER excited that you are doing your first half marathon but then I read on to the part about the 17.1 mountain run and that totally tops any 1/2 marathon training news. That is going to be an amazing experience! I am fully confident that you will not embarrass yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the encouragement! No doubt, you all will be privy to my moaning and groaning over the next few months. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't I just think about training? I did that 40 minute run on the treadmill the other day--that should be enough for a few weeks...

    --Moses

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! Some of my friends have committed to marathons or other strenuous events and have found them to be life changing. There must be a wonderful sense of accomplishment. Certainly more than for a 5 K race, which is as far as I've ever done in a real event. Talk about being a wuss! --FJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. And meanwhile I'm all proud that I got my car looked at, took my cat Calliope to get her rabies shot and looked out and gave her bath all on the same day. It is less impressive than say what you're undertaking, but it take a lot out of me.

    The bath in particular. Okay, ow...

    Yay, you for pushing yourself into new endeavors...

    I suspect there will be updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your conditions to Moses are absolutely reasonable. I just don't think it's fair with these husbands of ours. I've been riding my bike regularly for YEARS, with Chris doing no physical activity beyond standing. Now we've been going for rides and he is totally ahead of me all the time, and I bet he isn't sore AT ALL from riding this morning. And I am just a little bit. Of course, I did ride further, since I had to ride to work, and will have to ride home. But still. He probably will ride really fast in Ireland I will be just slow and lame. Totally not fair.

    Kind of went off on my own rant there, sorry. While I have no desire at all to torture myself the way you do, I can't help but admire it and wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with grumpator's comments on the ability of the men-type husbands to more easily excell at this riding/running thing. It is totally, totally, unfair. Not that I have a man-type husband of my own who does this. But it seems way typical.

    Also, I am the worst wuss in the land of running and exercise at the moment.

    And my reassurance goes this way. Even though he's kicking your butt at the moment, at least you've been getting reg. exercise for years. Okay, that was totally a mom/aunt/yenta response, but it's true nonetheless. It's something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't read your blog comments before our dinner out with your brother & Lisa on Friday night. I throughly enjoyed dinner but their comments on the training factor for Imogene sure summed up that ying, yang ..male/female thing. There was your brother telling you no problem making the cut offs...just do a little running & you will be fine & then Lisa saying that her Mom trains by hiking Mt. Elden at least 3 times a week before the race. Whatever...you know that I am in your corner Kerry. You go ...daughter of mine=)!

    ReplyDelete