Friday, August 15, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten

Yesterday was Garion's first day of kindergarten. We took this photo yesterday morning--a handsome little man if I do say so myself. And not a baby or toddler or even preschooler anymore. Snif. Garion was so excited that he was up, dressed, and had breakfast eaten by 6:45. He did great and seemed to enjoy the day and I managed to not completely fall apart.
Then last night I made the mistake of not placing Garion's backpack downstairs after I emptied it. That meant this morning it was not where he was expecting to find it and the world essentially ended. After a big break down, he said kindergarten was too confusing and he wasn't going anymore. I suspect this is because he did not want to take the bus this morning (which was another disaster that ended with Moses driving him to school). He's supposed to take the bus home this afternoon and I'm supposed to meet him at the bus stop. So yeah, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that that all works out today and trying not to be sick thinking about my little boy taking the bus when he's afraid to. I guess that Garion is learning resiliency, and I guess that's a good thing. But man is it hard on the mom end of things--I so want to jump in and save the day but I can't because I know if I do he'll never learn to do anything and he'll be one of those kids who never learns to cope. I'm hoping day two was better once he got to school and that next week we can start over again and pretend that this morning never happened.

5 comments:

  1. Oh...my...goodness....

    I have so been there and guess what ??? My momism is kicking in double time as I am not only feeling the grandma thing about wanting it to be all better for Garion but I am also feeling the Mom thing wanting it to be all better for you.

    Sigh...=) ! I think once you are a Mom you are a Mom for life.

    It is so hard watching these first steps of coping with life but is so rewarding when you start to see you child fly.....=)! You are doing the right thing Kerry...just hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I need to add that I think my grandson looked very handsome on his first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's so grown up...where DOES the time go?

    It's good to toughen him up - we all have to learn to ride the bus sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, the school bus ... I had forgotten all about the school bus! I am hand-wringing right along with you ... I hope it went well! Garion looks like SUCH a little man in his photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can it be possible that Garion's old enough for Kindergarten already??

    Ah, those first couple of days when everything is new and different, when you're completely unsure of yourself, when you're afraid you'll make a mistake that will diminish you in the eyes of your peers or prevent you from getting where you want to go.

    People have much less patience with meltdowns over misplaced items or refusing to ride the bus when you're older.

    FJ

    ReplyDelete