Monday, March 2, 2009

Sweetheart, It's Not the Sweatshirt, It's the Grey Hair

On Saturday, we went to get lunch a local sandwich shop that is close to the University and does a pretty brisk business in college students. Moses was wearing a Northern Arizona University sweatshirt that he won (in high school--somebody, ahem, has trouble moving on) as part of an academic T.E.A.M.S. competition. I was in that competition too and won the same sweatshirt but somewhere in the course of events, Moses adopted my sweatshirt. So now he has two, one of which he was wearing on Saturday. As a side note, or possibly the third or fourth side note in this tale, I cannot for the life of me remember what T.E.A.M.S. stands for. Anyway, we walk up to the counter to order lunch and the (college-aged) girl behind the counter looks at Moses's sweatshirt and says, "wow! that's like a vintage shirt!" Vintage. As in OLD. He, he, he that's what you get for clinging to the shreds of your clothing until they fall apart or spontaneously combust of their own volition because you refuse to put them out of their misery.

6 comments:

  1. While they may not be vintage yet, I am certain I still have a NIN shirt from high school. But I keep it because it is memorabilia, not because I still think it's ok to be seen in public with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're ready for a lecture; you started this.

    For all the supposed concern for the environment and concern about not wasting resources among your little blogging community, this idea that a shirt that is perfectly usable should be replace because it's a few years old is silly.

    I keep my clothes until they no longer provide protection from the elements. Just because my sweatshirt is out of style is no reason not to wear it. And, no, I'm not going to donate it. I'm going to wear it until it doesn't do its job, then I'm going to wear it while working around the house, then I'm going to use it to clean my tools, then I might consider getting rid of it.

    If it embarrasses you to be seen with someone who is more concerned about not wasting than about some random girl's opinion of my sweatshirt, you've got a very long life ahead of you---also, you knew about this long before you agreed to spend the rest of your life with me.

    So...get over it; I'm not about to stop wearing what I want just because some little brat calls me old. Since I'm so old and stubborn, I'm more likely to wear it more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, I was reminiscing about TEAMS the other day and had a look at the competition's website: http://www.jets.org/teams/index.cfm

    (It stands for Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Math + Science, if I remember correctly.) I never won a sweatshirt but I was ultra-nerdy enough to have patches made for my letter jacket which told everyone about our team results. I think I was on the JV team when you two were on the varsity team.

    I think Moses fails to see the humor in the situation. ;) I still have a t-shirt from elementary school which has stretched nicely to become a loved friend now, but I try to almost never wear it so it will continue to last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have several t-shirts from high school, that yes, I still wear...if not always in public. I also have a very worn and faded pink t-shirt that was a gift when I was 12...it's one of my favorite pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. At least you can fit into t-shirts from high school.

    My chestular area kind of prevents that from happening. That's as graceful a way to say that.

    The most I can wear is a sweatshirt from college that has the neck cut off. And it was huge in college.

    I do have my concert and high school t-shirts that yes am still keeping. But am not wearing them for the above reason. And they're in PA.

    There are certain t-shirts and pants that get too ratty that I don't wear in public anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still grinning over the archival remark.....makes me feel kinda young....=)!

    I am a saver and re-cycler when it comes to clothes but I am well past the age of having anything left from High School...anyway I had to wear saddle shoes and a uniform and my p.e. outfit looked like it had bloomers and that definitely was not cool even in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete