Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Love Yoga in the Springtime.....

Last night my friend Amy got me to go to a yoga class with her at a tiny little studio downtown. The studio is a fantastic space in a beautiful old building, except that I ended up picking a spot right on top of the squeaky wood floor which meant that every time I was struggling for balance the floor would squeak and give me away and I had to control my urge the shush the floor. The class was awesome and my back feels better than it has for months--I should have gone sooner. Or maybe not because it's only recently that I've really been feeling a lot better. But anyway, we did this pose that was basically down dog with help from a friend (you do the down dog pose and your friend pushes back on your hips/lower back to deepen the pose). The instructor came over a made a few adjustments and all of the sudden my whole back opened up. Amy said "whoa, you're back just got about three inches longer" and I could feel that that's exactly what happened. I have lots of sore muscles today, but no sore back. I find this absolutely amazing. I'm going back to the class next week, but now I'm wondering if once a week is going to be enough to make a difference. Yoga expert, any thoughts?
I've also started a running again, slowly and right now only about 25 minutes at a stretch. And swimming. Ahhhhhh--so nice to be moving again. I was debating about going swimming this morning but Moses kicked me out of bed saying "you should go"; I think maybe possibly I might be a little easier to live with when I exercise? Regardless, it's nice to be getting my groove back.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's wonderful.
    I like how you're "only running 25 minutes at a stretch", that's like 5x more than I can handle on a good day. Go Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this an anusara yoga studio? Because that down-dog stretch was a signature move of mine when I taught anusara yoga, and there was a GREAT anusara teacher in Flag ...Ulla Lundgren. Looks like she's not there anymore but her studio, Yoga Experience, still is. Is that where you went? And I think if you are running, twice-weekly yoga is the perfect amount (says the girl who has not been to yoga in 2 years).

    ReplyDelete