Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of First Grade

Today was Garion's first day of first grade. Time continues to fly I continue to be amazed at how quickly--look at my baby! Garion started a new school today; last spring I/we decided to switch him to the local Catholic school. Garion, of course was reluctant to move to a new school and I've spent pretty much the whole summer questioning that decision. I want Garion to have the best education possible, and the public school he was at was one of the best in Flagstaff, but the recent budget woes and few other factors led me to the doorstep of parochial school. Garion was happy at the public school and I've been feeling like the world's meanest mom for moving him and not sure it would be worth it. Much to my relief, the first thing Garion told me when I picked him up this afternoon was, "Mom, you were right about the teacher!" (I kept telling him that I was moving him because I thought the first grade teacher would be really good and he'd learn lots of new things). Thank goodness. He seems to be excited about being back to school and told me that he made a friend today. I think Garion might be a little more resliant than I give him credit for and I think it's going to be okay. Whew.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry - I'm a friend of Stacy Butler's who lives in Flagstaff and she suggested I check out your blog. I promise I'm not a cyber-stalker - you can check my references with Stacy! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the wife of one of my co-workers is the nurse/admin person at the Catholic School and she says the new principal is great. They also have a boy in the first grade class - his name is Cooper. They actually have a whole slew of red-headed children spread out throughout the various grades. So, hopefully Garion will be happy with your choice! My stepson is starting 1st grade at Mountain School next week - he did kindergarten there and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Switching schools is never as traumatic as you think. I went to 2 elementary schools, 2 jr. highs, and 1 high school. It was all fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks so cute and I am so proud of him. Glad he already made a new friend. I wasn't sure that you hadn't changed your mind about sending him so when he told me Tuesday that he was going to SFDA I was really excited. I told him how much I liked his teacher etc..."Grandma I know....that's what Mom said" So glad it was a good day & I hope he has many...many more. It helps that he takes after you and loves to learn....& likes going to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacki--Thanks for passing on the comment about the principal--that's great to hear! Garion's new friend is actually Cooper--small world-- or, maybe just small town.
    I hope that your stepson has a great first week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just vouching for Jacki ... she is a cyber stalker but only re: people we went to high school with. :-) Who is that enormously tall grown-up boy in this back to school pic? What happened to little Garion?

    ReplyDelete