Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This and That


Look! I grew tomatoes in Flagstaff! To the left is tonight's harvest. We've gotten about 4 similar sized handfuls before this. After last year's nearly complete tomato bust, I am feeling particularly pleased about these little suckers. I think that the plant is on it's last legs though. I suspect we will get one or two more handfuls and then it will be time for a trip to great compost heap of reincarnation.
On a somewhat related, and by "somewhat" I think what I'm really trying to say is "remotely," that lovely, blurry picture was snapped with my new iPhone. I totally completely caved to iPhone-itis, broke down, and bought the stupid thing. I am such a sucker for sleek design and general nifty-ness. And, although I recognize, acknowledge, and am mildly ashamed by my gullibility to the marketing tactics of the corporate machine--I am completely smitten with it! I can hardly put it down. I might have to have it implanted directly into my brain. Except that then I couldn't gaze at its loveliness, so I will refrain. Needless to say, Moses has had to roll his eyes so much over it that probably I will have take him to a surgeon tomorrow to have his eyes pried out of the back of his head. But I DON'T CARE. It is worth it.
Finally, and completely unrelated to anything else at all, I am not doing the Imogene Pass Run this year because it conflicts with the annual staff attorney conference. As I typed that sentence, I thought, "that looks like just about the lamest thing ever." I'm not that lame! I'm really not! It's not like I'm going to the conference just because Erwin Chemerinsky--constitutional law rock star--will be presenting the constitutional law review and I expect there to be a completely hot discussion on the implications of the Iqbal case just issued by the Supremes last spring! Seriously, why would you even think that? The conference is at Coronado Island, land of beautiful beaches. My mom's going to come with me and we're going to have a girls' weekend after the conference is over. And given the choice between "crazy mountain foot race at vomit-inducing high altitude" and "lounging at the beach with a good book," wouldn't you pick the beach too? Also, I haven't seen any of my co-workers or my supervisor since May, and it might be good to remind them that I'm still alive. On the other hand, not going to Imogene is a huge let down after the training I've been doing this summer so I'm shopping around for another race to gear up for. I'm thinking about the Tucson Marathon. The full thing this time. It's in December which would give me 16 weeks to train if I start next week. I'm having a hard time deciding though--26.2 miles just seems like a really, really long distance to run. And then there's all that training running that you have to do before doing the actual racing running. And a December race means that I'll be doing a lot of that training running in some pretty nippy weather up here and possibly even snow. So I'll have to stew on that a bit.....stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should post more often about your love for hot law discussions! I don't think that's lame at all!

    And gratz on the new iphone - it really is fun. Moses will stop rolling his eyes once he gets one. Either that or his eyes will get stuck that way and people will think he's a zombie or unconscious all the time. They might think that anyway...

    As an aside, my word verification for this comment is "pants" which I find hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot handle that the staff attys get to go to Coronado! Where are you staying? When you want me to tell you everything that you must do? Also, I cannot recommend the Tucson Marathon. How about Vegas? It's the same date and a much better race. Although I would love to see you and will totally come cheer you on if you run Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you picked the beach vs the mountains as I get to tag along. Hurray for fun in the sun by a sandy beach!!!

    ReplyDelete