Monday, October 19, 2009

Reinforcements!

My friend Anne came over this morning bearing popsicles, a Jeff Corwin video, and pictures for Garion that her son drew. Saved! The wrapper theory proved correct--Garion immediately sucked down a strawberry popsicle and I am feeling much better about the state of his stomach. I think there is some DNA-level evolutionary impulse in every mother that starts beating out "child must eat . . . child must eat. . . child must eat" every time they go for more than about three hours without measurable caloric intake. Garion said the popsicle made his throat feel better so he'll probably be living off popsicles for the rest of the day and I am just fine with that.
Garion is sorting through the pictures from his friend right now and giggling. There is one in there titled "President Peanut" that looks like a cross between a cat and the Incredible Hulk--I have no idea what it is but apparently Garion gets the joke. My favorite is the one titled "P.J. Elkdorf" --again I'm a little murky on the visual but the title cracks me up.
Garion's doing better this morning, his fever is a little lower (although still hanging out around 100) and he's perkier than yesterday (thus the giggling). I'm guessing we'll have one more day at home tomorrow and Garion will be back at school on Wednesday. Garion's school requires a kid to be fever-free for 24 hours before sending them back...I strongly suspect that not all parents follow this, but I am nothing if not a rule-follower. I am so grateful to Anne and also to everybody else who offered assistance: my parents (who live in Camp Verde-that would have been a long drive for popsicles) and Moses's boss who offered to pick-up medicine or whatever else we might need. How great is that?

3 comments:

  1. We would have done it...=)! So glad that there were good friends to come to your rescue..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so sympathize. Izzy is actually sick with a mysterious high fever right now too -- but at least Jim is in town for this one. Perhaps the reinforcements should bring you some wine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Anne. And everyone who offered to help.

    Okay, have no non-furry-children, but I remember having stomach flu and being very happy when my neighbor got me some soup and stuff.

    And I'm sadly too far to help in person. Only via interwebs.

    ReplyDelete