Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Digital Sabbatical

I don't know if you can really say that you are taking a sabbatical if 1) you are not an academic or 2) are only taking it for two days, but I didn't come up with the term so I'm not going to be picky (I stole the idea from Rowdy Kittens). As part of my observance of Lent, I'm using the weekends to take a digital sabbatical meaning that I am avoiding my computer and smart phone (beyond making phone calls) on Saturdays and Sundays. The first and second weekends of Lent were easy because we were out of town the first weekend and the second weekends was consumed with laundry and house projects. Last weekend we finally had some down time and I felt the full force of my internet fast. I would typically have whittled away a good deal of time reading the the paper online, lurking on Facebook and catching up on some of my favorite blogs, maybe trolling Etsy or Craigslist. Last Saturday, I did this instead:


In case you can't tell, that would be a meticulously rendered drawing of Imperial Star ships and fighters duking it out with Rebel Destroyer Blaster Bazingas. Or something like that. When you draw the lasers, you have to say "pow, pow, pow" in a laser-y voice. The green stuff is from the slime shooters. One of the ships shoots candy canes and peppermint drops. You are NOT allowed to draw heart shooters. I would love to tell you that the two hours I spent doing this were the best of my life, that I learned deep and meaningful truths about parenting and creative play and exploring color and geometry while experiencing world through the innocent perspective of my gifted offspring. Truth be told I kind of missed the weekend paper and I didn't have enough coffee. And I had a cold. And also it is hard to be bossed around by an eight year old because your ARE DOING IT WRONG. And my gifted offspring likes Stars Wars a little too much and talks non-stop. But. Watching the wheels in my child's brain spin is absolutely delightful and fascinating and funny. Really, really, really funny.
I also used some time last weekend to read and on Sunday afternoon I slept for four hours (because I was sick). I can't say that I wouldn't have done these things had I allowed myself access to a computer, but somehow it was easier to do them. Sort of as if I had permission. It wasn't life altering or cathartic, but it was nice. And I'll always take nice.

3 comments:

  1. At the conference I'm participating in this week, one of our speakers advised taking a digital sabbatical (she called it disconnecting) regularly-say one day a week. I've never tried it at home, though I tend to not be online as much on weekends-except for WoW. I've thought about consciously disconnecting at least one day a month, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a little art talent here....=).

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the guys on Entertainment Weekly also suggested it. And it seems to make sense. Though as I have no net at home, long story, I haven't been able to put it in practice. Think one day a week might be reasonable.

    ReplyDelete