Saturday, June 16, 2007

Book Review: Prey by Michael Crichton

Something about summer makes me only want to read the novelized equivalent of People magazine. I'm not a wit interested in my book club book (Inheritance of Loss, in which I've stalled out at about 3/4 of the way through), so I've been scrounging the library for literary distractions. Which led me to the Michael Crichton shelf.
The main character is Prey is an out of work software developer in Silicon Valley who's playing stay at home dad while looking for new work. His wife, a child psychologist, is, for some reason not very well explained, employed as a vice president of a big company developing nano-technology. The wife works long hours and comes home acting weird, so when the main character (see what an impression they made on me, I can't even remember their names) gets offered a job at the big company he takes it. He arrives to find that researchers at the company have released a "swarm" of nano-particles into the environment that are programmed with predator/prey behaviors. The company has lost control of the swarm, main character must save the day, and fun and hilarity ensues. Okay, maybe not fun an hilarity, but a least page turning.
Probably needless to say, this work will not go down in annals of great literature, but it was fun to read and had a nice, satisfying plot line. None of this "character study" crap that I have no patience for in summer.
...........
Ouwie update: they still hurt. Also, the "hurt-free" antiseptic wash is not hurt--free, that claim is a complete marketing lie. It's about as hurt-free as as Twinkies are fat free. It is hurt-full, as in it hurts like hell to put on, as in I have practice the breathing I learned in child-birth class just to work up the courage to squirt some on. And I am so sorry, Garion, that I never believed when you screamed, "IT HURTS!!!" because now I know it totally does.

No comments:

Post a Comment