Friday, September 26, 2008

Grow a Bike

This is so completely awesome, I could cry. A man named Craig Calfee has developed a method for growing bamboo to make bicycle frames. According to Calfee, "bamboo is an ideal material for bicycles: It's stronger and lighter than most metals, but absorbs road vibration much better."
He uses lugs made from a hemp epoxy composite to hold the bamboo frame tubes together.
Apparently, the bike is similar in weight to an aluminum bike, but offers better performance. Sweet. Maybe I'll give up on tomatoes and start growing bicycles. Check out the full article from Wired here.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, that is a pretty cool concept even if it is ugly as all heck. But $2,700?! You'd better work on that green thumb quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I would love a bamboo bike! Very appealing. That price would be reasonable - if I were Lance Armstrong. Since I'm not, though, it's a little too dear for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $2700 for a non-fuel consuming, non-polluting, nearly completely pollution free vehicle? If I weren't such a lazy bum, I'd order it right now.

    It's certainly cheaper than a small, used, fuel-efficient car that's going to cost an additional $1300 to $3900 per year in gasoline and $300 per year in insurance.

    It's not much more than your dream TV, Jen...

    Just sayin' in the grand scheme of things that we spendy Americans purchase, this bicycle isn't really expensive.

    ReplyDelete