Monday, July 9, 2007

Back in the Saddle



We did it. Garion and I braved stupid hot weather to bike to work on Friday, not quite as stupid hot as earlier in the week (only 103), but stupid hot enough. The morning wasn't too bad but the ride home, was to be frank, a bitch. Anali's first law of biking proved true--it was raining and no matter which way I turned, I was riding directly into the wind. Thankfully, Moses picked Garion up from daycare, so I only had the empty trailer to tow home. However, that stupid trailer still might as well have been a Greyhound bus--it acted like a big sail in the wind, pulling the bike in the opposite direction from the one I really, really wanted to go. Some guy running, i.e. on his feet, with a stroller, almost passed me, as did every other trailer-less bike on the road. I actually considered turning around and riding the opposite direction, just for the pleasure of not riding into the wind, but then I remembered the first law of biking. And also I wanted to go home. I used almost my lowest gear to go up a very mild hill, and actually had to pedal to get myself down the hills. I made it though, and I have to admit that riding in the rain was very refreshing : )
Today's ride was much better. Very pleasant in the morning and, even though I had Garion and the CSA share in the trailer, a pretty easy ride home. Garion asked me at one point if the trolley tracks were nearby. Apparently I've convinced him that trolley tracks=death. I'm not crazy about the trailer, but it's an effective way to my kid and my stuff from point A to point B, with no gasoline (yay!), so I intend to keep it up, barring any further disasters. Unfortunately, Garion's a little tall for the trailer. Pretty soon I think we're going to have to fold him in half to stuff him in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment