Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Book Review: I Heart Snape

Caution: Minor Spoilers Ahead
Oh man. I stayed up an hour and a half past my bedtime last night to finish the last Harry Potter. And I have to say, I knew it! I knew Snape couldn't be evil. Although I have of course worried an fretted over Harry, Ron, and Hermione, I think Snape turned out to be the most interesting character of the series and certainly the most heroic. Harry got to be brave with the love and support of friends, but after Dumbledore died, Snape must have been the loneliest person in the world. Everyone he was helping hated him. And he protected Harry, as he said he would, until the last possible moment. Because he loved Lily! Ah, man that was good! And I loved the bit when Harry considers how much Hogwarts meant to him, and Voldemort, and Snape, the abandoned boys. Sigh. I don't even feel like reading my next book (which is a book club selection) because I'm still so wrapped up in the Harry Potter saga.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I know, I knew that Dumbledore trusted Snape for a good reason. I was so dissappointed at the end of book 6, not just because of Dumbledore's death, but because it was Snape that killed him. I was convinced that when Dumbledore said "Severus, please" he was asking him to kill him to save Draco from doing it. Now I'm even more pleased that they'd talked about it in advance.

    I agree, that Severus must have been so lonely. Did he ever have a friend? Dumbledore was probably the closest thing to a friend since Lily. Despite his irrational hatred of Harry, he stayed true to the end. And he wanted to see Lily's eyes as he died...

    /sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, can you imagine the jealousy he must have felt towards Harry! Every time he looked at him, he must have thought about how he wished he could have ended up with Lily and had sons of his own. Although we know that James had a turn of behavior, the early childhood memories of him really do paint him to be an obnoxious bully. Personally, I think Snape had every right to dislike James so much. Oh, the drama! Poor Snape, perhaps if he only had some decent shampoo he could have won Lily's heart.

    ReplyDelete