Thursday, July 5, 2007

Book Review: In Her Shoes by Jennifer Weiner

Ah, summer. When I ignore book club and read whatever I want. Sort of. You'll notice I'm currently reading "Jesus: A Novel" which is actually a book club book. Because I have book club on Saturday and feel like I need to have something to talk about, rather than just going for the snacks. Anyway, In Her Shoes is about two sisters, Maggie and Rose (see how well I paid attention to this book?) and their grandmother, Ella. Maggie and Rose's mother died when they were small, their father remarried a witch and Maggie and Rose I have since simultaneously relied on each other while making each other crazy. Ella was shut out of the sisters' lives by their father after their mother's death and is looking for an opportunity to re-enter. Also, all three women love shoes and wear the same size, which is really convenient when you're coveting shoes. The book is about how the three eventually come to understand each other despite being separated by time (the sisters and the grandmother) and a really fight between the sisters. Although it sounds a little heavy, it's actually got some very funny parts and was highly enjoyable. I'm pretty sure that I'll be reading more of Weiner's books.
-------
Ouwie update: all better! Garion and I tried the bike + bike trailer yesterday and everything went fairly well. (I picked up a bike trailer on craigslist because I'm now a little bit nervous about towing Garion on the trail-a-bike). The plan is to resume riding to work tomorrow--assuming that I can convince myself it's not too hot : ).

1 comment:

  1. This week I've been riding my bike TO work, but taking the bus home. 5:00 heat is just too much to handle. Bleah.

    ReplyDelete