Monday, July 28, 2008

I Love Monday

Moses is gone for a work meeting for a little while (in Hawaii of all places) so Garion and I are on our own. Just the two of us. Mom and son bonding time. We had a very busy weekend that included breakfast at Brandy's; a trip to the swimming hole at Beaver Creek (where Garion put up a good fight about leaving when it started to rain: "but Mom!, there are only 7 seven drops on my window, see we didn't have to leave"); two viewings of the Incredibles (Friday night and Saturday night); laundry; dishes; grocery shopping; seeing WALL-E; a game of Chinese checkers; a long walk around the neighborhood; one prolonged argument about why Garion could not have a new peanut butter an jelly sandwich just because he accidentally tore the top slice of bread while making the sandwich; and smaller "discussions" about how Garion is capable of cleaning his room by himself (b/c he's capable of making the mess by himself), how Garion cannot wear shorts to church, how he cannot have two desserts, and how, no, he cannot sleep in my bed because Dad is gone and now in there is room. To top it all off, we engaged in a practice know in our house as "torture by haircut" where Garion screams and cries as if I were using pliers to slowly remove his fingernails while, in actuality, I use clippers to cut his hair and try to make him look like a human being and not an English sheep dog. It was such an ordeal that I stooped to very-very-bad-mommy tactics and offered dinner at McDonald's and a partial viewing of Superman if he would just hold still and let me finish. (Notice the absurd amount of screen time Garion has had in the last three days, I am such a wuss when I'm on my own). I found myself wondering again and again this weekend how one single little person could embody both the love of my life, the person I would throw myself in front of train for without a split-second's hesitation, and also the person who, if I hear him say, "Mom" one more time will maybe make me stick that kitchen knife in my eye so that I will hopefully be distracted enough not to strangle him. I so want to be that calm, in control mom who loves every second she spends with her kid, but I was so, so glad today for Monday morning and daycare, and the prospect of 8 quiet hours in my house to, of all things, work on prisoner cases.

6 comments:

  1. Bwahhhhhh! THIS is what I have to look forward to?

    I'm mostly kidding - it doesn't sound that bad. :)

    Good luck for the rest of the time while Moses is away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a perfect example of WHY we all need our quiet, alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me like you did just fine. This is when a nice long soak in the tub with a book....or an extra moment or two in the bathroom with the door locked can give you that moment of blessed quiet time. Will be thinking of the tow of you this week...=)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. Quiet time is needed for everyone.

    I love the description of Garion as an English sheep dog. Says the person who needs a haircut herself.

    One of my friends' fathers in a mood of snark described her hair as poodlelish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sounds like a really fun weekend -- can I come stay with you the next time Moses leaves town? I love the Incredibles movie. Thanks for the honest post -- I was just joking with a friend about how blogs are inherently insincere about child-rearing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, you're reading Three Cups of Tea which was also something my book club read. I don't remember if I started it or not. I know I didn't make it there as I was getting Calliope, cat chica, from the ASPCA that day. So it's sitting on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete