Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Found Food

Earlier this month, some very good friends of ours moved backed to Australia (where they hail from). We met them when Moses went to grad school with the husband. Their first child is about six months younger than Garion and they were our traveling, camping, and New Years' Eves buddies. Before they left, they had about five days between when they needed to be out of their apartment and when the plane left for Sydney, so they came to stay with us. We had eight people in our house, four of whom were 5 years of age or less (thus re-affirming the fact that there will be no more little Milazzos from this branch of the family, ay dios mio). We had a wonderful, chaotic time, and played "how-fast-can-you-clean-the-house" every time the phone rang with a real estate agent for a showing.
As their last place of residence, our house also became the repository for all the little odds and ends that didn't make it into one of the (10!) suitcases or (10!) carry on bags. I have inherited a hot pink Nalgene-type water bottle, some new pieces of tupperware, a very nice rectangular basket, some cotton swabs, and new package of q-tips. Also some kleenex, a couple of odd dinner plates, a canister to put my coffee in, an Oral B electric toothbrush (minus the brush), and a chest freezer (score!). Oh, and a quarter jar of Vegemite--ack! But best of all, they left us a bucket full of Halloween candy, including Minties (a blissfullicious candy from Austraila) and a package of vanilla sandwich cookies, AND!....a half of a CAN OF PRINGLES!
Oh man, do I adore Pringles with all their trans-fatty yumminess! Oh, they are salty, and crunchy, and perfectly formed and neatly stacked in that tall, come-hither, red can in a way that totally appeals to the type-A aspects of my personality. You get a snack and organization to boot!!! It's like a little vacation, a respite if you will, from chaos, and crumblieness, and...... nutrition. How can I possibly prevail against this type of culinary marketing seduction? Answer: not at all. I ate the whole freakin' thing.
Accordingly, I will be out running tomorrow morning. In the cold. In the dark. While thinking about how much I will miss my Australian friends. And also wondering if maybe you can buy Minties over the internet?

3 comments:

  1. Blissfullicious is my new favorite word. Vanilla cream sandwiches are one of my favorites! I could snarf a whole box of those in about 10 minutes. And pringles...oh the willpower is indeed shoved into a tiny box and locked up with 128 bit encrypted password when those are around. Today is your house deadline, I will be sending you extra energy today to sell, sell, sell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I share your love for Pringles. Especially the sour cream and onion ones. I have been known to eat a whole tube in one sitting - thank god they have those little 1-person tubes to save my stomach. I love their shape, how you can eat them in 3 bites, and how neatly they stack.

    Wow, it's a good thing I spent all my money on no-calorie coffee this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I've got Cupid out in your hood scouring the streets for house-hunting hopefuls.

    ReplyDelete