Monday, February 25, 2008

Living with the Next Bobby Fisher

Sometime after Christmas, Moses started teaching Garion to play chess. Yes, Garion is five years old. And, yes, Garion completely understands how the pieces move and even has a rudimentary grasp of strategy. Which is more than can be said for his mother. Tonight, as he does pretty much every night, Garion asked Moses to play chess with him. Except that this time, Garion made Moses play with only the king and queen while Garion got the full assortment of pieces. When Garion lost, he looked around for easier prey, "hey, Mom! Want to play chess with me?" "
"Sure," I said. So I sat down at the kitchen table and the play began (just for the record, I was a little distracted and I was eating my dinner). Three moves later, Garion yells, "Checkmate!" And I of course say, "no, check again," thinking that maybe he's got me in check, but no way did he win. Moses comes over, "um, dear." I look at the board again. Holy Crap. That little snot (who is the apple of my eye) whipped my butt in three moves:

1 comment:

  1. O.K.....so this is scaring me. Do you think Garion would be happy with a very intense game of tic-tac-toe?

    I wouldn't know how to even make the first move even though he told me that he would let me win the first game after he taught me how to play. Such a sweet little grandchild...=)!

    ReplyDelete