Monday, September 21, 2009

26.2: Thinking and Thinking and Thinking

I'm still thinking about doing a full marathon this year, but am having a hard time pushing myself over the first mental hurdle of signing up. September has been a training-free month for me; I've been running but not with a specific goal in mind and nothing terribly long. It's been kind of nice, but I'm not sure how well I'll keep it up without some sort of feat of athletic endurance on the horizon. And so today, I randomly came across a couple of things that make me think I should probably just take the leap:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
(To me, this does not sound sarcastic enough to really be Mark Twain, but I suppose that when you are discerning the metaphorical tea leaves of your life and seeking guidance from the Great Out There, as well as the random crap you read on the Internet, you can't be overly picky).

And:
Inaction is the surest path to failure. You cannot succeed if you never try.
grrrr. I know. But it's so much work.

The inherently lazy me is still thinking "that is such a long distance, that is so much training, I don't know if I can do it." And also, for the race I'm considering now, the longest run of the training schedule will be the day after Christmas, which seems like a not terribly auspicious time to run 20 (!) miles. At that time last year, there was something like two and half feet of snow on the ground. Although, on further thought, "longest run on the day after Christmas" could be moved to the "pro" column, considering Christmas is a little stressful and I usually eat a good amount of crap on Christmas day and a long run is a good cure for both of those ills, and a good excuse to ditch my family for a few hours (family, I love you!). And really, even if I can't finish a marathon, I will have lost nothing but some time and I can't really count that as a loss because I love cranking up my iPod and hitting the pavement, or treadmill, for some uninterrupted time to swim around in my own head. And also, it is possible that this will be something I'm only able to do for a limited time in my life; if I learned nothing else from breaking my back, I now know down to my bones that physical ability is a gift, and one you don't necessarily get to keep forever. (And also that sliding down an icy slope on a cheap piece of plastic crap is bad idea.) So, probably I should run while I can, and because I love to run, and because I feel better when I do, and to find out how far I can go because otherwise I will never know. But, dang, that is a really long way.

6 comments:

  1. I say go for it Kerry. You will never know unless you try and that great body of yours is not getting any younger.....=)! I am behind you ( metaphorically speaking sp?) 100%!! Whatever the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! It will be GREAT, and the feeling of accomplishment you'll have at the end cannot possibly be surmounted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO IT! I can 99% guarantee that you will not regret the decision. I think the key is that you need to find a training partner for that little bit of extra committment. Also, doing your 20 the day after Christmas is PERFECT -- you can hobble home, take a warm bath, and then spend the day sitting on the couch in your jammies, eating leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. That is doesn't seem to be snarky enough to be MT. Sounds too wifty and new agey.

    I am not the person to talk you into or out of the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You changed your template again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I agree with you about the hardness. I should probably listen to the inaction thing and overcome it,too. We'll see if that happens.

    ReplyDelete