Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Opposite of Attachment Parenting

We gave Garion a big boy bicycle, with training wheels, a couple of years ago for his birthday and of course had every intention of teaching him how to ride a two-wheeled bicycle. But we are busy people and it has seemed like we were either living in a place where there wasn't a lot of (safe) room to teach him to ride or the ground was buried under 3 feet of snow. Garion has recently made friends with a third-grade boy a few houses down who knows how to ride a bicycle, without training wheels, and the mastering of two-wheeled transportation has therefore become rather pressing. We did make one attempt a couple of months ago to take Garion to Buffalo Park to help him get the hang of two wheeled propulsion, but he was tired, somebody else was grouchy, and the whole thing was pretty much a bust. And the bicycle has sat in the garage, untouched, for two months (plus about 2 years).
Friday afternoon, after getting home from school, Garion said, "Mom, can I practice riding my bike?" Finally, we are living on both a non-busy street and one not currently buried in snow (yet). I said that he could practice but that I couldn't watch because I had some work things to finish up. He responded, "I know!", as is "duh, woman, that is the whole point." His friend from down the block was also out and riding his bike. Five minutes later, Garion came bursting in the door and said, "Mom, I did it! I can ride my bike!" I went out to watch and sure enough, he had it. Parental guidance, support, encouragement: completely, totally unnecessary. Toilet training and reading kind of worked the same way; pretty much nothing happened until Garion decided he was ready and then he just did it. So, I'm thinking that I now have official sanction to just coast, right? He's obviously brilliant, so I just feed him and water him for the next 12 years and he'll be good to go. Like a house plant, but more vocal.

2 comments:

  1. You wish...=)! Take it from you Mom, the parenting never stops even when the kids are in thier mid twenties and mid thirties...=). O.K. it's not quite the same .....but that Mom thing just seems to pop up every now and again.

    ReplyDelete